It's Never Easy to Say Goodbye

This is by far one of the hardest posts I have done since I started my blog. Sorry this will be extremely long and hopefully it makes sense through the tears that are falling.

I had the opportunity to know and have one of the BEST grandma's in the world. My grandma was the sweetest lady anyone would ever meet. She was like a mother to me and took care of me while I was young while my parents worked. She was giving, unselfish, devoted, strong, courageous and sacrificed till the end. She was a person that loved her family and showed us that till the moment she took her last breath. I spent most of the day with my grandma on October 28th. I had to leave around 4:30 because I was hosting a baby shower for one of my friends. I came home hosted, bathed Cookie and got my kids in bed. Once Karter had fell asleep I laid there thinking and pondering of my grandma. Right then the phone rang...I hesitated to answer it only because I knew or hoped I could possibly change fate. I finally answered...my mom was on the other line telling me my grandma had taken a turn for the worse and had the death rattle. I rushed to put my shoes on and went to find Scott unable to locate him I left...yes kids in bed and all. Calling my neighbor as I was driving down the road asking her to watch my kids until I could get a hold of Scott. I got to my grandma's house seeing the condition she was in...knowing it would be that night that she would return home to her Heavenly Father. I cried, trembled and in the same sense was happy that she would again be with the man she loved and cherished her whole life, my grandpa. She wasn't coherent but I know she heard everything we said to her and sang to her. She struggled for almost 6 hours. I say this not because she struggled in pain but struggled wanting so badly to be here with her family.
But then she reached up with both arms as if she was being lifted from this life.
Within minutes she was gone...
LaRue Mower Wiley
  • BORN: February 2, 1922
  • DIED: October 29, 2009
  • LOCATION: Orem, UT
View Video Tribute

LaRue Mower Wiley, our devoted loving and serving mother, grandmother, great grandmother, and friend, passed away peacefully in her home surrounded by her family on October 29, 2009. LaRue was born February 2, 1922 in Fairview, Utah to Clarence Eugene Mower and Leona Christina Clark. She was raised in Milburn and Fairview (Sanpete County), and the coal-mining town of Spring Canyon (Carbon County). In her high school years, her family moved to Springville where she worked at the home of Ed Clyde. Later she met her sweetheart, Joseph LaVon Wiley, and they married on July 17, 1942, just prior to LaVon leaving to serve his country during World War II. She helped with the war effort by working in the drafting department at Geneva Steel. After the war, she devoted her life to being a homemaker. They were sealed in the Provo Temple November 22, 1986.

LaVon and LaRue had six children (all surviving): Marilyn (Bob) Adams, Lindon; Denise (Bob) Haag, Orem; Roger Lavon (Mickie) Wiley, Federal Way, Washington; Colleen (Ted) Rasmussen, Lehi, Gayla (Kevin) Moore, Provo; and Bonnie Jean Cordner, Orem. Their posterity includes 20 grandchildren and 29 great grandchildren. LaRue's surviving siblings include: Beth Johnson, Connie Mae Orr, William (Bill) Earl Mower, Donald Lee Mower, Janice Ruth Frandsen, and Cecelia Dianne Goelz. LaRue was preceded in death by her husband, brothers Clair Eugene (Gene) Mower and Clark Alvin Mower, and sister Neatha Greener Elliot Wilson.

During her lifetime, LaRue made numerous quilts and quillows, sewed many matching dresses for her daughters, grew many gardens, and enjoyed many hikes in the mountains. She was the greatest cook and hostess. No one ever went hungry in her home and her cooking pot was never empty. LaRue served in many church callings in all auxiliaries, including Primary President and Jr. Sunday School Coordinator. She had a special talent working with children. She also served as Relief Society Compassionate Service Leader. LaRue devoted her life giving unselfish, endless love and service to her family and others. She created a warm, safe, welcoming, and loving spirit in her home and saw good in everyone.

The family wishes to thank Dr. Douglas Mower, Erica from home health, Roseanne from Aspen Senior Care, the staff of Alpine Hospice, and Walker Sanderson Family Mortuaries for taking special care of our mother.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday, November 3, 2009, at 12 noon, in the Cascade First Ward, 451 E. Center St., Orem. Family and friends may call Monday evening, November 2, from 6-8 p.m. at the Walker Sanderson Funeral Home, 646 E. 800 N., Orem, and Tuesday morning, November 3, from 10:45-11:45 a.m. prior to the funeral services. Interment will be at the Orem City Cemetery.


One of my aunts had said and it was quoted in a talk at my grandma's funeral
"in order to learn how to live we have to learn how to die,
and in order to learn how to die we have to learn how to live."
That is exactly what my grandma taught me. I hope I can be half the woman, mother and wife she was!
She was truly amazing in all she did!!
I will miss you so much Grandma until we meet again...

5 comments:

*WEST* said...

Losing a Grandma is hard and she was a pretty classy lady! Hope you have a GREAT BIRTHDAY!!

Running with kids....it's about making the time now! said...

Mandi-
I am sorry. I didn't know...I am sorry I wasn't able to help out. Your words were beautiful, to remember her by, and to have us all get to know her. Thank you for your words, about life and death.
Let me know if we can do anything.

Kayla said...

Mandi, What a beautiful and touching post. I know your grandma would appreciate all the amazing things you said about her. I know it's not easy to lose a family member, especially someone like your grandma who you love so much and have so much respect for. I've lost family members like that and I know the pain it causes and the emptiness it leaves you with. My prayers are with you and your family at this time that you can find peace and solace. Families are forever and you will be with your grandma again someday. I truly believe that.

Dane and Jessica said...

Mandi I'm so sorry about your grandma - it sounds like she was a wonderful lady

Cristi & McKay Morley said...

Sorry for your loss! She is in a better place. Happy Late Birthday!