House Fire

You are probably wondering why I am posting about this house fire? The reason is this. This home is within our stake and close to where I live. I was taking the boys to go somewhere and when I was backing out of my garage, I saw smoke. We went to where it was and this is what we found. A home, burning...and worst of all the owners came home to this! I stopped and me and the the boys watched it as firefighters tried to save their home, but were unsucessful. It broke my heart! I can't image coming home to a absolute loss, with nothing but the clothes on your back! It was a good eye opener for Karter, a boy that is a pyro and loves to play with lighters. That is why I stayed and let him watch as long as I did. We didn't end up going where we were originally headed. I came home afterwaeds and couldn't stop thinking about it. I worried and made myself sick thinking...did this family have kids? Is the owners in need? How can I help? Scott told me rather than sit here and do nothing...go. Go ask what you can do to be of assistance. So I went and found out it is a spanish couples home, they have no kids and pretty much they now have nothing! I told them and their neighbor I would do what I could to help. I came home and posted on my facebook and had our ward send out a email for a home and clothing drive. I NEVER thouht i'd get all that I did. But it was overwhelming with the outpouring love that people did to help, someone they didn't even know. I have never done something like this before. But to see their reaction was worth every minute of it! I did something and whether they could use all that I collected was up to them. But I know they used and needed most of it.
Now the only thing that sits on their lot is a cement pad of where this home use to sit. But I will end with one last story. When the couple was sorting through all the rubble and charred stuff in their home. The husband came across a ring box, he wasn't able to wear his wedding ring because he was a handy man and did construction and was afraid of getting hurt by wearing it. When he opened the box where his ring sat, it was perfect, completely untouched by the fire. It was the only thing in the home what wasn't damaged! I loved that they shared that story with me and in return I can share it with you.

1 comment:

Amanda and Tom said...

That is sooo awesome and inspiring! Good Job Mandi!